Man trapped in restaurant kitchen grease duct for two days


A man has been rescued by emergency services after spending two days trapped in a grease vent at a restaurant.

Alameda County Fire Department in California revealed it freed the man after a member of the public informed it that a “faint voice” could be heard calling for help.

When first responders arrived on scene, they could hear the voice and quickly determined it was coming from a roof vent atop the restaurant, which is no longer trading.

Story continues below

A ladder was extended and personnel were able to locate a 29-year-old man trapped in a sheet metal grease duct running from the roof to the kitchen.

The man was covered in grease and oil and was wedged in such a way that he could not move.

Firefighters quickly went to work and after almost an hour were able to extract the man from the metal duct.

Officials said the man was physically exhausted and suffering from dehydration. He was transported via ambulance to a local hospital for treatment.

Police are now conducting a trespassing and vandalism investigation, but said it was unknown if the suspect intended to commit a burglary.

“We are very thankful to our citizen reporter and our firefighters for saving this man,” said Sgt. Ray Kelly of the Alameda County Sherriff’s Office. “It is likely he would not have survived another day given the circumstances.”

He said the suspect is expected to make a full recovery.

Tags : fire servicegrease ductkitchen safetypoliceventilation
Andrew Seymour

The author Andrew Seymour

Leave a Response

Thank you! Your subscription has been confirmed. You'll hear from us soon.
Enter your email to join the thousands of other professionals receiving breaking news from Catering Insight